Life is Good!

This is not just an endorsement for a company - it's an endorsement for a deliberate choice I have made to look for the good, the encouraging, and the quirky in my life.

Loons on a Lake

Loons on a Lake

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Come out from the cold

I have always known that I get cold easily - that is one of the reasons I prefer to cross-country ski or snow shoe instead of downhill ski. I barely warm up during the summer, and spend a lot of the year wearing two sweaters. However, these last two weeks I really have been extra cold! When my students started complaining last Monday I checked the classroom thermostat. It was set to 69 Fahrenheit, but the room temperature was 54. That is too cold for optimal learning! I wrote out a repair order, and waited. Tuesday I wore an extra layer and continued to wait. Wednesday I complained to the school secretary, debated trying to write on the chalkboard while wearing gloves, and waited. Yesterday the school custodian came in and fiddled with the controls, called a furnace repairman and I took my students across the hall to an empty warm classroom for the morning classes. Today it was colder than ever. We retreated to the warm empty classroom for Chemistry, and we waited. Tonight will be colder than this last week, so I decided to rebel and not close my classroom door when I left. Maybe the room will at least not cool down over night. Tomorrow I will take a space heater. Perhaps I should wear a snowmobile suit like Mr. Shankel did several years ago.
Life is still good.

1 comment: